Thursday

The smell of baking...

...through the house gives me a sense of peace and the dog an extra wag in her tail.  So I try to bake at least every second day, depending on what the week is like.  Its usually bread or plain scones, or crackers or sometimes cake! If I have a new idea, or there is a party, or we fancy a little something something!

Last night, while watching Of Mice and Men (Me for the millionth, Bill for the first time!) we both got a hankering for a little something with our tea, and scones are so easy and quick, so between rubbing in the butter in front of the tv and then wandering in and out of the kitchen now and then, the scones appeared, risen and golden and warm beside our cups of tea...

One is never enough...
Buttermilk fruit scones (as per the river cottage cookbook)

You'll need
450gms Self raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsps Baking powder
100gms butter
100gms Caster sugar 
125gms of mixed dried fruit (I use sultanas, raisins and cranberry mix)
about 300ml buttermilk

Method 
Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a mixing bowl and rub in the butter until you have a damp sandy texture.  Add the sugar and the fruit.  Then add the buttermilk, bit by bit, until you have a raggy dough.  Upturn onto a floured board and with your hands flatten to about 2-3 cms thick.  I do this with my hands, instead of a rolling pin, because it leaves the texture, inside the scone, airy and layered.  Cut out as many scones as you can get and place on a hot baking tray (helps cook the bottoms!)

Just before putting in a hot (190c) oven, brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with caster sugar, this leaves a lovely crispy sugary glaze!

My other favorite scone recipe, from Domestic Goddess, has no sugar in it, which this one does.  It really depends on what mood you're in, these scones are sweet and light.  Try both and pick your fav, I tend to chop and change depending on my mood!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Sounds like such a lovely evening. I cannot remember the last time I watched a movie!

You have been busy. It all looks so good too. And here I have barely cooked anything decent in weeks! And totally tardy with your game too. I will get on it soon.

Beth said...

Your scones look beautiful. I love a good scone and they are hard to find here in Oklahoma. We make them at the bakery where I work but they don't look that good.

AMI said...

Nicole you've been missed!

Beth, scones are so easy to make and there are a few tips to make them luscious - always cut them thick about 3 cms and always glaze them! Yum!