Sunday

Goodbye to Winter...


There are mornings when the light thrown through my bedroom window plays cruel tricks on me, and I leap out of (or up and off) my bed thinking its finally a sunny spring day, and it isn't. This morning was one of those.

Don't misunderstand me, I actually like blustery cold rainy days, nothing that a nice fire, good book and copius amounts of tea won't fix. I even enjoy those mad dashes to the car in stormy weather, I love the feeling of hard rain in my face, my long hair caught in the swirling wind and ending up wrapped around my head in a turban. Its something to look forward to as winter storms in!

However, its supposed to be mild now. Has mother earth forgotten? I'll send her my tourist guide to Ireland where it says - Dublin in the springtime is mild and warm with intermittent showers of light rain.



So its hard to be enthusiastic about these unseasonal storms we're having. Especially when my house is on the side of a hill and sometimes feels like its about to lift off!


Reading some of my favorite bloggers muse about the wonders of springtime where they are has made my impatience grow lately. I find myself tut tutting at the rivets of water on the window, leaving my jacket at home in utter defiance of the non season!



I am physically craving the fresh breath of spring... but it hasn't started for me... no daffodils in my garden, no buds on the tree and the local squirrel seems to be still asleep, i haven't seen him anyway. The night is a hissing screaming banshee and the crisp icy bite in the air doesn't bode well for family walks... so Bill is like a coiled spring, his sitting quietly reserves are running seriously low. And all the food in the pantry is for stews, soups and casseroles... I'm itching to make light fresh food for my family, to hear the satisfying squeaky crunch of spring vegetables between their teeth but I can't bring myself to when it looks and feels like it may snow any minute!!!



Then just as I thought I had somehow found my way through the wardrobe where it would remain winter eternally, on my way out to the car in scarf and hat, I spied it... A lovely daffodil. Sitting tucked into the bush in the corner.


Suddenly the rain faded to a bare patter, my little finch family hopped across to fight over their peanuts and a blast of sunshine threw itself across onto my face for a second or two.


Finally...





Asparagus and Lemon Risotto


200gms risotto rice
1 small onion, finely chopped
4 spring onions, finely chopped
zest and juice of 1 lemon
Glass white wine
1 litre chicken stock
Extra water if needed
Butter
Parmesan



Soften the onion in olive oil,and add the asparagus and the rice, stirring until translucent. Add the spring onions and the white wine, reduce.
Add the lemon juice and some of the stock, stir until the liquid is absorbed, add more liquid.
Keep adding stock, or additional water until you are happy with the texture of the rice.
Stir through the lemon zest, a knob of butter and some parmesan...




Springtime in a bowl!

No comments: