Monday

Cocktail and Cake... the story continues!

I was not happy with the way the birthday cake below turned out so last night I just had to try again.  I made Pina Colada cupcakes and with a bit of tweaking, I now have the perfect recipe to share with you!

Its pretty much the same as below but with a bit more tweaking! 

Pina Colada Cupcakes
makes approx 18

125g unsalted butter
150gms dark chocolate
300g pineapple jam 
150gms caster sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
150gms Self raising flour (add a pinch of salt)
50mls Malibu
About 20 glace pineapple chunks









Melt the butter and chocolate together and off the heat add the jam, sugar, and eggs.  Mix well. 
Add the flour bit by bit and stir.  Add the malibu.  The mixture should be thick but not resisting a stir! If it is resisting add more malibu!

Drop spoonfuls of the mix into cupcake molds (I use silicone) and top each with a glace chunk.
Bake for approximately 20-30 minutes until a cake skewer comes out clean as a whistle.
Leave to cool.  For the icing mix about 300gms icing sugar with a few spoonfuls of coconut milk until stiff peaks.  Ice the cooled cupcakes and leave for a while before tucking in!




Phew... I'm glad I got that sorted!

9 comments:

Ciara Brehony said...

These look amazing! That's what I love about cup cakes in particular... no end to the possibilities. I never would have thought of something like this. I've no doubt I'll find an opportunity to try them out! Thanks!

AMI said...

Do - they're really nice and I can't stop eating them... cake recipe aside, the icing is just devine! Like a little "package holiday" in one bite! x

Emily said...

I love your silicone cupcake foils. Do they word as well as they say? I am eternally impresses with your creativity with this cake and am thrilled that they work for cupcakes because I have a weakness for the perfectly proportioned little guys.

AMI said...

yes unfortunately cup cakes are mouth sized which means you can eat more than you meant without noticing!

I'm a fan of silicone cake moulds, I've a few. The cup cake ones work very well because you can leave em on and so if the cake tears you can blame the fingers not the cases. If you are getting them, get seperate ones, not ones joined together - its impossible to unmould the little cakes with the weight of twenty other ones dragging down!

Try baking these Emily, you can use pineapple juice with a few drops of rum essence instead of the malibu if they don't sell it in Canada!

Emily said...

I promise I will try these sooner rather than later. It is my mum's birthday on Saturday so I will see if she is willing to have them as her cake. Finding Malibu won't be a problem the tricky part will be finding pineapple jam and self-rising flour. I will just have to make my own self-rising flour. I'm also going to convert the recipe to cups so we will see how it goes. Thanks for the info on silicone molds. I will have to try some.

AMI said...

You can order pineapple jam from a company called Chivers, google them. Otherwise, pulp a pineapple and shake the liquid off in a sieve, add a little sugar, it'll be the same.

Anonymous said...

You know, this is the kind of thing that can get a girl into all kinds of trouble. Edible Pina Coladas? I'll nominate you for a Nobel!

AMI said...

Thanks Joanne, I can see it now... And the award goes to... Fabulous!

AMI said...

Thanks Joanne, I can see it now... And the award goes to... Fabulous!