Wednesday

Love love Linguine!

I'd forgotten about it, from buying mostly fresh pasta and then my dry pasta from Lidl, I'd kind of forgotten about how much I love linguine... its just the right thickness in the teeth and coats itself in sauce wonderfully!

We went for lunch in Gastropub in Dun Laoghaire as a treat at the weekend, we had nothing in the fridge and were just about to go and spend probably 30 euro in the supermarket (never shop with hungry eyes) so instead we went and spent 41 euro on a nice meal there!

Gastropub is a gem of a family restaurant, very friendly and extremely reasonable. The food is great too! The fish and chips there is superb in our estimation and we claim to have eaten the best fish and chips in the world in Llanfair P.G. last summer so we know what we're talking about!

The pub is made up of reclaimed furniture and floors, so the tables and chairs are all family sized and comfortable, taken from sales of estates around Dublin. The bar came from a girls school laborotry and you can see where compasses scratched proclamations of thought many years ago!

Bill of course went for the Fish and Chips served with mushy peas, Mary had a smoked salmon bagel and salad, Joe had sausage and chips and I happily ordered the linguine. Mary ordered a poached pear which was so sweet and tasty I ended up finishing it off! Her young pallet was overwhelmed by the spices and wine!

My linguine was so good that I was hankering after it for days, just one more spoon would do! I needed more...

So there was only one thing for it... Make it myself.

And so...

Butternut Squash and Goats Cheese Linguine

You'll need

  • 500gms (dry, 350gms fresh) Linguine
  • 1 Butternut Squash
  • 250gms Goats Cheese (I favour 'Couer de Lion - Chavroux' for cooking with)
  • 100mls double cream
  • Handful chives
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and Pepper
method

I roast, but you can boil, the squash until soft and set aside. Put your pasta onto boil, use the water off the squash if you boiled it. Then in your processor whizz 3/4 of the squash until smooth, add 3/4 of the goats cheese, the cream and salt and pepper and whizz again.

When the pasta is ready pour in the sauce and stir through. Serve with some squash pieces topped with a spoon of cheese and chopped chives!

Its so tasty!


4 comments:

Ciara Brehony said...

And there was that darling butternut squash looking at me this evening... 'What shall we do together?' Sounds perfect.

Nicole said...

Ohhh.. I HAVE to make this for my sister! She loves anything with goat cheese! I never thought of pureeing the squash to create a sauce for the pasta. Great tip!

AMI said...

Its really nice Nicole, do try it! Just be sure to get a soft goats cheese, they usually have some milk on top when you open them, you know the type... I'd imagine any other type would be too overpowering!

Nicole said...

I will try it. I have to have my sister over in a week or two and do so.