Thursday

Forgotten Posts!


I was flicking back through some recent photos and I realised I never told you about the cake I made for my brother Eamons birthday recently (yes my whole family are all winter babies!) and so if its okay I will tell you about it now!

Firstly here is my brother... he always does this eejit face when we try to take his photo...
And now here is the cake...!
I couldn't stop laughing the whole time I was making this... it just looked so much like him! 

The cake itself was a Lemon and Almond cake, recipe below and it was really delicious... My brother said it was a different experience, slicing up his own face and passing it around so we could all eat it... but great fun altogether!!

Lemon and Almond Birthday Cake
(Great for fondant icing!)

You'll need
225 g soft unsalted butter225 g castor sugar4 large eggs50 g plain flour225 g ground almonds1/2 teaspoon almond essencezest and juice from 2 lemons

Method
Preheat the oven to 180C.

Cream together the butter and sugar until almost white. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, adding a quarter of the flour after each addition. When all the eggs and flour have been incorporated, gently stir in the ground almonds, then the almond essence, lemon zest and juice.

Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for about 1 hour. Cover with foil after about 30 minutes, once the top is lightly browned. The cake is ready when the top is firm, and a skewer, inserted, comes out cleanish - you want dampness, but not gooey batter. Take the cake out and let it stand for 5 minutes or so in the tin. Then turn it out on a wire rack and leave till cool.

P.S. I think you can safely assume ALL my cake recipes to be from Nigella Lawson unless I say otherwise!!! xx


3 comments:

Emily said...

Sounds Yummy and looks great too!!

Ciara Brehony said...

HILARIOUS!!!!

What a fab idea Lisa.

Nicole said...

Too funny! You are quite the artist.