Tuesday

Americana...

So listen, as I've said before, I am enamoured with American food at the moment and have been eagerly anticipating food scenes in my favorite tv shows... Bill tells me I'd see it all in The Sopranos but I just don't find people getting kicked to death entertaining so I'm passing indefinately on that one.  However recently, while watching a gorgeous American movie called "Waitress" I was reminded of that great American institution "The Cream Pie"... 

Then at a family dinner the other evening, my youngest brother mentioned that his culinary high was the eating of a Coconut Cream Pie while visiting my older brother in New York.  His face became wistful and he spoke quietly of its perfect marraige of creaminess, sweetness and nuttyness.  I had to try it.

So with him on his way over to watch the Celtic match with Bill, I set about making one, with a few tips from Martha Stewart, whom I've been told is like Nigella Lawson mixed with Anthea Turner.  We don't get much from Martha Stewart this side of the pond, but I do know she is one to look to for superb baking tips.

Here it is...
Coconut Cream Pie

You'll need
A prepared pie crust (See my fav recipe here)

75gms plain chocolate

85gms cup sugar

170gms unsweetened coconut milk

85gms whole milk

85gms Double cream

30gms cornflour

5 egg yolks

A good pinch of salt

100gms flaked, unsweetened coconut

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 tablespoon butter


Prepare your pie crust.  When cool, melt the chocolate and brush the inside of the pie with the melted chocolate until well covered.  Leave to cool.

Mix the cream and milk together.  Combine the coconut milk, the sugar and half the cream/milk mix in a saucepan and heat gently.  Just before the boil take it off.

In a small mixing bowl, whisk the remaining  cream/milk mix and cornflour together stirring until smooth. Whisk egg yolks with salt in a seperate mixing bowl. Temper yolks by adding some scalded milk mixture slowly to the yolks while whisking well. Add yolk mixture and cornflour mix back into milk mixture and whisk vigorously over medium heat until thickened and just about to boil. It should coat a spoon and not drip easily.  Remove from heat and add coconut, vanilla, and butter. Mix together until butter is melted. Taste and add more sugar if you need it. Fill your pie dish with the mix and refrigerate.  

My brother was the first to taste it - "thats it, thats it!" he said "perfect!" 

But well guess what! I didn't like it! After all that I put a forkful into my mouth and was not happy. 

It was just too globby... I wonder with a topping of some sort would it even out more for my taste.   I mean I like the inside, I like the outside but the combo just wasn't right for me... I'm now thinking meringue topping? What do you think?

7 comments:

Ciara Brehony said...

Hmm... I'm not sure this would be for me either. Although I can guarantee that Jay would LOVE it! Maybe it's a man thing...!

AMI said...

You could be right... it wasn't completely moreish so I say WHATS THE POINT?????????

rachel said...

Looks positively divine! I LOVED the movie Waitress, thought it was so sweet (pun sorta intended).

Nicole said...

SUCH a fun movie! Coconut cream pie is just so-so in my opinion. I am not sure why. I love macaroons and fresh coconut or coconut shrimp... I have yet to have a FABULOUS coconut pie though. Many cream pies have meringue toppings. But I prefer a whipped cream topping. Many bakeries do a sweeter stiffer whipped cream than the fresh one which is good for the pie and the presentation. Chocolate cream pie is the only pie my husband eats. But it is good. You can't go wrong with chocolate!

AMI said...

Is anything called a cream pie made with cornflour? Is it all the same method but with different flavours? I must experiment!

Emily said...

You watched the movie!! What did you think? I'm glad you were able to find it.

AMI said...

Its such a lovely film isn't it Emily? One to recommend! I've seen it a few times now! Nice to see "Felicity" again too!