Sunday

Colcannon

Colcannon is a traditional Irish meal, served at Halloween. The local supermarkets and Greengrocers become stocked to the hilt with the beloved Curly Kale, which rarely makes an appearance at any other time of year!

You'll need
500gms Floury potatoes, peeled and boiled
200gms Curly Kale, washed and chopped
125mls Creme Fraiche
1 Clove of Garlic, crushed
100gms Butter
50mls Milk
Salt and Pepper

4 large coins wrapped in foil, I use 50 cent.

Method
Mash the potatoes well and add half the butter, stirring until mixed through. Stir in the creme fraiche and the milk. Season. In a frying pan heat some olive oil and add the garlic. Fry the Kale in the oil until bright green. Stir through the potato. Drop the wrapped money into the mix and stir.
Melt the rest of the butter in a pan. Place a large dollop of Colcannon in a bowl and make a small well in the centre. Pour some melted butter into the well and serve.
Dip your spoonfuls of Colcannon into the melted butter as you eat. Watch for that money!!

8 comments:

Lo said...

Oh, how I love colcannon. My mother made it fairly frequently while I was growing up, and I've continued that tradition.

I had no idea, however, that it was a traditional dish for Halloween. Thanks for calling that to my attention!

Love the costume :)

AMI said...

That is my eleven year old Mary, dressed as the Ghost of Mrs Piggot apparently!

Here in Ireland we really only eat Colcannon once a year! Was your mother of Irish ancestry?

Ciara Brehony said...

One of the things I love most about traditional dishes is how everyone has their own version of them! I do admit that in one form or another we eat it all year round. It's pure comfort food! Yum!

Ciara Brehony said...

Btw I LOVE Mary's costume! Wonderful make-up! Sorry we didn't get to see you on the night this year.

Emily said...

Happy Birthday Lisa!!!

AMI said...

Thanks Emily!

Yeh Ciara have you noticed Dunnes sell it prepackaged... but its with cabbage... dunno but that doesn't feel like Colcannon to me, its Curly Kale or nothing! Where do you get your Kale year round?

Michelle said...

That looks good! I wonder where I can get a hold of curly kale over here. I'll bet it's in one of the nicer grocery stores...

AMI said...

Hi Michelle! Traditionally its Curly Kale, you can use Savoy Cabbage but that is really Bubble and Squeak! I bet you can find a greengrocer who could get some for you... Also leftovers can be fried which is just deee-licious!